Associate Partner on the Foundation Capital Enterprise Team
Foundation Capital was founded in 1995. As an early-stage venture capital firm, we’ve lived through the emergence of the World Wide Web, the Enterprise war of the 90s, the dot-com bubble, Web 2.0, the mobile revolution, the Great Recession, the rise of Big Data, software’s ascension to the cloud, and the birth of blockchain. The wisdom of those experiences remains with us, transmitted to each successive generation of partners. Two-thirds of VC firms never make it past their first fund; only 10 percent survive beyond their fourth. We are 24 years and nine funds strong. Our Fintech, Enterprise, and Consumer investments have reinvented industries and defined new markets. For a quarter of a century—through boom and bust, prosperity or calamity—Foundation Capital has endured, evolved, and thrived, with over $3B in committed capital, 28 IPOs, and 80+ acquisitions to our name. Building companies is in our bones.
Foundation Capital is seeking a Partner to be a key member of our Enterprise investment team. The Partner will develop investment theses, source investment opportunities, and work with other partners through the investment life cycle. They will have the opportunity to learn about venture investing and the start-up ecosystem. They will get exposure to our portfolio companies and have the opportunity to develop a perspective on what makes for a successful start-up. We also expect that our partners will develop deep expertise within the Enterprise start-up landscape, and will build a broad base of relationships with founders and CEOs within the broader start-up ecosystem.
- Source investment opportunities and support GPs through the process
- Cultivate a network of entrepreneurs in the Enterprise sectors (especially, AI applications) such that Foundation Capital has an understanding of the most promising start-ups within the Enterprise sector (especially at the seed and Series A stage)
- Create a short list of high potential startups within these sectors that merit further diligence/meetings by partners at the firm
- Support due diligence of shortlisted companies that become candidates for investment by Foundation Capital
- Develop a point of view on specific sub-sectors/investment thesis within Enterprise (we break Enterprise sectors into apps, data platforms, security & privacy, and data-center infrastructure)
- Identify technology, customer, and business trends in specific sub-sectors within Enterprise and develop in-depth market maps (including market segmentation, emerging players, and incumbents)
- Develop and socialize investment theses
- Help expand Foundation Capital’s content footprint by writing blog posts on trends/ key insights in the target sectors
- Work with a select number of portfolio companies post investment
- Shadow GP/board member for board meetings
- Help with recruiting/special projects
Demonstrated ability to build networks/relationships, especially with technical founders/entrepreneurs. The ideal candidate will have a pre-existing network of Enterprise founders.
- Abundant “hustle” with a demonstrated ability to “self-start” and work without supervision
- Demonstrated ability to develop a point of view/investment thesis
- Voracious curiosity, intellectual acuity, and an active listener
- Prior experience with Enterprise software businesses, either in consulting, investment banking, or as a PM role
- BS in Computer Science and MS/MBA preferred, but not required
Foundation Capital is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply, especially women and underrepresented minorities. Foundation Capital is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
To apply, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.